prototype carving jig

Computer Numerical Control

prototype carving jig

Postby loyd » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:51 pm

jajolliffe posted a carving arm on the Carving forum.
Carving Arm Plans - Allows "hands free" Carving!
It looked like a natural for the CNC machine so I thought I'd play with the design a little. It's not exactly to print but it fit the 1 x 10 pine board I had on hand. Here's the almost finished product.

assembled with clamp.JPG

The way it came off the CNC
cnc output.JPG

After the bandsaw got through with it.
bandsawed out.JPG

I think a better choice of wood for this would be poplar but the pine sufficed for my version.
The machine time was less than 30 minutes including setup. Plagiarizing the design from Jim's very clear drawing took about 30 minutes.
My version has a 1/4" carriage bolt and a knob. It works OK. The McMaster-Carr clamp handle may be better, but the knob was handy and seems to hold up OK.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: prototype carving jig

Postby rgulley » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Loyd, my first thought was CNC too. But the plan is simple enough to complete with just hand tools. I put off making articulating arm to hold a monitor for my old CNC. It was basically the same deal but not as heavy. My new CNC doesn’t use a connected PC, so the matter resolved itself.
rgulley
Site Admin

Re: prototype carving jig

Postby loyd » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 am

When I first started CNC -- Bob Addington was my mentor and provided a great deal of basic guidance and a lot of hands-on help -- Bob suggested that there were things best done by standard tools. One of the basics is that "if you have just a simple design requiring just rips and crosscuts, it's very likely best to do them on the tablesaw". This project was just playing around, although the precision of getting those holes in the right place relative to each other in all three parts did fit well with the CNC.

Now that I have the program it will be easy enough to make multiples but that's not something in demand in my shop.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to CNC