USB disconnect

Computer Numerical Control

USB disconnect

Postby loyd » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:06 pm

I had a rerun of a problem I had a few weeks back while running a long 3d program on the Shark today. I was about 20% into a 2 hour run when the Shark Controller program stopped tracking the Shark action and the Shark window greyed out. It happened a few weeks ago on a short run and finished the job without messing up. But this job had a remaining 80% to go and it's a 3d rendering with several levels in the roughing operation. I didn't know what to do, so I did nothing but wring my hands and wait. Well it finished the job and went back to zero without incident. That says that at least the entire job was stored in the Shark Controller memory and it didn't have to come back for another chunk of code.

I've worried that I might not be so lucky next time and the controller won't have enough memory for the entire job.

Before I go into my suspicions let me ask if anyone else has had this problem or has any thoughts on the matter.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: USB disconnect

Postby rgulley » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Never had a problem like that with the Shark. I did have something sorta like that with the Axiom. My Gcode file must have been corrupt. It stopped about 40% into the job. I tried to save the start point (where the machine stopped) but it just wanted to use the same file. I ended up going back to Aspire and putting a vector around the last 60% of the file plus a little more. I then told it to calculate the 3D finish just inside that vector boundary. It worked.
I think you can do the same sort of thing in VCarve.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:20 am

I've gone though the PC settings to see if there's a sneaky way Win10 messes with the USB. I long ago set my timeouts for display and power to "never" but I just discovered that the Screensaver still plays with you and isn't overruled by the screen setting. My setting for Screensaver was 10 minutes and PIN required to clear it. I cleared that up so Screensaver is out of the mix now. I messed with all of the notifications to disable all of them but I have no confidence that Win10 won't decide they have the authority to bypass the owner/operator when some programmer in Washington State feels he/she knows better. At any rate I don't see anything on the Forum at NextWave regarding those issues, but I went the distance anyway.

I'm leaning toward the USB cable at the moment and will await its arrival Monday [thanks to my Prime membership]. In the meantime, inspecting all of the connections along it's path I've become a little nervous about how loose they seem. The one on the back of the controller box is loose but I put a clamp to hold it still the first time I experienced this phenomenon. The intermediate [female] connector isn't a tight fit either, but I had replaced that one after the first experienced loss of connection.

When the new cable arrives, I'll bypass all of that and clamp the new cable at the back of the controller and hope for the best. Of course, with all of the changes made, I'll never know what fixed the problem if the problems doesn't recur. If it does recur, I'll refrain from violating the Forum's admonition to be nice.

As an aside: I found that Win10 does go into a sequence to power down the USB connections step by step when the machine goes into the lower power modes. In the event that Toshiba [the maker of my laptop PC] has put that into their protocol, I disabled their Eco mode. Shame on me.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:33 am

Regarding how to manage finishing the job: When the program concluded, it brought the machine back to Zero. I used the Center of the project to be Zero [not a good idea for 3d stuff BTW] so when it stopped there, I carefully raised the spindle, replaced the bit with one for finishing, and turned off the machine. My experience, so far, is that the machine holds true to that Zero over a power off/on. So if I'm fortunate, the finishing will be close enough if not right on.

On a separate note: I always move the spindle to the end of the gantry when I finish the job so that it doesn't cause the gantry to sag. Similar strategy to removing the router from a router table to keep the table from sagging. So needless to say, I was uncomfortable leaving it in the center. But it will only be there until I finish this job on Monday or Tuesday. :oops: :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:14 am

BTW: If the finishing tool path stops midway, I'll try your [rgulley] solution if I can figure out where to re-start it. Oh, the opportunities to learn. :lol: :geek:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:24 pm

IMG_1268 (Copy).JPG

I got impatient and purchased a 4 ft USB cable at Walmart while there this morning. I came home and ran the finishing tool path for the horse you see here. I used the spiral finishing instead of the horizontal tool path and it took only 48 minutes to finish.

The PC stayed connected to the controller though the whole process. I don't [and may never] know which of my changes let the USB stay connected [new cable or computer changes] for the whole project. Nor do I know if it'll ever misbehave again.

BTW: the picture shows the workpiece right off the machine. I haven't cleaned it up at all. Pretty impressive I think.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Loyd that looks wonderful and would never thought it just came off the Shark without any sanding. Well done!
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:17 pm

Another 3d rendering with the all new cable hookup and disabled interrupting functions. Don't know what fixed the problem of disconnecting but it went all the way though making this model and tracked it all the way.

IMG_1271 (Copy).jpg

I'm still amazed at the quality of the output. I did use a toothbrush to knock off some Irish pendants around the bird's head but no sanding needed.

Now if I can figure out what to do with this stuff. :? :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to CNC