reducing points in a curve

Computer Numerical Control

reducing points in a curve

Postby loyd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Someone either posted here or passed around an email with a video on how to get smooth points on a Vectric node edit [I think]. Anyone remember this?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: reducing points in a curve

Postby rgulley » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:23 pm

I don't remember the post, but I can help you with node editing. Been doing a lot of that lately. I like using the Bezier curves. You can make some nice curves with just a few points.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:14 pm

If you have Corel PhotoPaint this video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MVgAYtRG-A
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 am

I looked at the video for a few minutes for ideas but decided that since I don't have that program, I'm better just using Vectric and not struggle with other stuff. I did get the idea from the very first of that video that Paint could be used to get rid of some of the unwanted stuff if you're using the Bitmap Tracing function in VcarvePro.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:57 am

After discussion with Richard at the meeting last night, I got a reset on how to just use straight lines and Bezier curves. I'll give that a try later.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Well over a month has passed since we had this discussion about points on a curve and I had to experience it for myself. I hand drew a curved pattern on paper for the leg of a table, scanned it to get a digital rendition, captured it in V-CarvePro, and made a file to cut out a template in MDF. So far so good.
Then I made a tool path and went to the shop to cut it out.
The process was very painful. The machine was moving in jerks -- slowly. I figured that the router was bogging down but let it finish.
The bit looked OK so I wondered if the router might have an issue so I took out the brushes. The inspection shows very little wear. So after the painful process of reinstalling the brushes [more on that in another forum], I decided to by-pass the CNC controller and plugged the router directly into the 120 source. Ran OK.
Scratched my head and started for the house. That's when it hit me: I used the raw data points [hundreds of them] for the tool path. The poor machine was doing the curves piecemeal one very short vector at a time.
I came to the computer in the house and looked with horror at the hundreds of points on the tool path I had created. A simple curve fit changed the tool path to about 15 to 20 points.
Some people are just plain slow learners. :oops:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:34 pm

Here's the video someone posted and I lost the link to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnF1JASSRKM Pretty quick understanding of the problem and a quick fix.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to CNC