Oh Boy!

Computer Numerical Control

Re: Oh Boy!

Postby sid_matheny » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:59 pm

I noticed Frank Howarth is using Vcarve Pro in his latest video. Not sure what version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2n1FqAR7Wc
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:57 pm

That guy uses his CNC machine for just about everything [bacon thing not withstanding]. I watched the video you posted of him making that machine a while back and wished I had the space for something like that. Now that I've had the Shark for a couple of years and realize that it's only one tool of many, I've learned that other tools are better for some things. Bob and I decided that the table saw was often a better choice for cutting things out than the CNC process and I'm sure there are other things that fall into that category. On the other hand there aren't many tools that will flatten a large piece like his door as well as a CNC. Still, I'm very impressed with his joining of those large slabs using the CNC and I don't think that would have worked out so well [following the grain] without the CNC.

BTW: I wonder if he gets help with his video making. There is, after all, just 24 hours in a standard day. And, I have a lot of trouble getting much done in most of them. :oops:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:48 pm

I think he does all the video himself.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 am

first version 9 3d.jpg

My first use of the Vcarve Pro ver 9 software. I learned a lot with this effort including the futility of using figured wood with detail design. The carving was a success, pretty much, but the overall appearance . . . not so good.
Overall it was a positive experience. The output will likely be set aside in the company of other cnc experiments but perhaps the learning stays with me.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:01 pm

I ran a second 3d image this afternoon.

ydirection chatter.jpg

Note the chatter on the side [Y direction] of the roughing opening. It's there in the photo in the previous post but not as vivid. I'm guessing there is a harmonic in the Y movement. The chatter isn't there in the fine carving [the inside rectangle]. Rough carving is done with a 1/4" end mill. The fine carving is done with a 1/8" tapered round nose bit. I need to check my feeds and speeds. I may be asking that end mill to go too fast.

No end to the lessons one can learn. Now! If only one could remember them. :lol:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Previous

Return to CNC