Recent etchings

Computer Numerical Control

Recent etchings

Postby loyd » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:00 pm

corian insert.jpg

This insert is corian that has two thick coats of black lacquer. The Shark carved the letters.

maple insert.jpg

This insert is curly maple; unfinished in the photo. Also carved by the Shark using same program as before.

The whole exercise is to figure out which insert works best with this clock. I'm leaning toward the maple insert because the black one seems a bit harsh. What's your opinion? The photo is before the finish was applied to the insert, but when the finish was applied the color of the maple matched the box color so that's not an issue.

Regardless of which one I use, the experiment was a success. I've wanted to know how the color lacquer would hold up on the smooth Corian surface while a router bit chews it's way into it and that worked out well. There is no chipping at the edges of the lettering and it looks really crisp. I put a clear coat of satin lacquer on to test whether the black would smear. It didn't.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Recent etchings

Postby rgulley » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:51 pm

I agree that the black insert looks somewhat harsh in this application. Maybe if it was smaller...
I do like the technique tho. When I first saw the pic, I thought it was the plastic laminate that's used in sign making. I gotta find a use for this.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:51 pm

I vote for a smaller version of the black. "old eyes" can see that one better. Have you considered making the plaque in the shape of the state! (another challenge). :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Since clock was built for the size insert hole before I considered the saying inscription I'm stuck with that size. The black is just too stark so I used the maple one. The curly maple is pretty but highly figured background isn't the best choice for etchings in my opinion. Another possibility would have been to use a lighter insert without the curly figure in this application but the deed is done [so they say] and it is what it is.

IMG_1232 (Copy).JPG
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Well I like them both and have to say I am surprised the lettering is so sharp on the Corian.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Two coats of black rattle can lacquer sprayed on heavy and let dry over night. Surprised me too. The lacquer adhered to the Corian very well. I don't know if this is always going to happen but it sure did this time. I was very careful using 1500 grit sandpaper to remove the inevitable bit fuzz expecting at any minute that it would lift the black, but it didn't.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Return to CNC