Practical uses for CNC

Computer Numerical Control

Practical uses for CNC

Postby loyd » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Most of my stuff on the CNC isn't useful for anything but to look at. But I came up with a problem at the farm renovation project. The thermostat for the direct vent furnace I installed was designed for mounting on a wall with the wires running inside the wall. There was little chance of running the wires inside the farmhouse wall so I routed it behind the baseboards and under the threshold and up the wall. I used wire hiding tubing on the wall against the molding for the vertical run but still needed to come into the thermostat from behind. That's where the CNC came in. I used it to rout out the back of a block and to make a thru hole for the wiring just behind where the thermostat wanted it to come thru the wall.

IMG_20170414_112914_859 (Copy).jpg

DSC02303 (Copy).JPG

IMG_20170414_140853_703.jpg
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Practical uses for CNC

Postby southpaw57 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:35 am

Have you and your wife ever thought about starting a house "flipping" show? Sounds like you all have the experience. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:00 am

Done with love and caring Southpaw. She's attached to that old homestead like it was her Daddy and Mama in person. No way she and Stephanie would scrape old wallpaper off on a flipper. And besides that, I personally would rather be in my workshop.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:07 am

IMG_20170414_143711_343 (Copy).jpg
outside

I was asked what a direct vent furnace was. It's a furnace that uses outside air for combustion and sends its exhaust outside both thru ducting that goes from the back of the furnace, which is mounted directly on the inside of the wall, to this diffuser that is mounted on the outside of the wall.

It avoids using up oxygen from the inside and putting fumes inside as a non-vented furnace does.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:46 pm

It's always nice when you have a project away from the shop to find a good reason to go back in the shop. :)
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Return to CNC